Monday, November 06, 2006

Hospitality

I can now add yet another name to the list of area hospitals I have accompanied various members of my family to over the past several months. L'hospital du jour? Swedish Covenant, on Chicago's north side. My father was transported there by ambulance this morning from my brother's nearby home, where he and my mother had been house- and dog-sitting this weekend.

I visited them yesterday. When my father woke up this morning, he couldn't remember that me and Jasper had been there. He couldn't remember quite a number of things. So...we think he may have had a stroke--early tests have shown that he's had a number of ministrokes 'in the past'. How far 'past' that is, we haven't been told as of yet. Is that days? Weeks? Years??

Lorelei, if you've got the energy and/or inclination to explain those ministroke/lightning strike thingamajiggies, go for it. I haen't the energy (nor the edumakayshun) to do so tonight. (BTW, Mimi now keeps referring to you as 'Laura'--her other OTHER white daughter--even though I tell her it's just too confusing that way and to just keep calling you Lorelei.)

The old man seems to be doing fine, as of now.
I'm going to eat mashed potatoes now and then fall into a deep sleep, where hopefully I will dream of a coven of naked Swedish nurses prancing round my Papa and feeding him yummy little meatballs to make him feel better.

It's a fantasy I know he'd love to be having himself, but in case he isn't able to sleep tonight, what with all the ambulances speeding past his open windows, I'll do the dreaming for him.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sorry to hear about your Papa...hope he keeps well.
I know that in recent months I have spent quite a bit of time with one or the other of my parents (and I know I'm so lucky to still have them both)either at a clinic or hospital...it feels a bit like a rehearsal or preparing to move into the next phase of my life! (Birthday yesterday..feeling old today!!) How is your mom?

Laura said...

Thanks for your kind thoughts. My dad was discharged this afternoon--I brought them back to my brother's house and just got home moments ago.

I suppose if you're gonna get a warning, an early one is the best kind to get!! Thankfully, there were no serious repercussions from this incident. He needs to follow up with his doctor though...

My mom is doing ok, now.
She was in quite a state yesterday morning when she called me. After I insisted she call 911 and the paramedics got there, she calmed down a bit. I met them at the emergency room.

It's still all a weird situation because there was a large family blowout that happened several days before this (which, thankfully, I wasn't present for) but now everyone involved feels responsible for this happening.

Guilt. Not a good thing...
Stress. Not a good thing, either...

Laura said...

Happy Belated Birthday!!

My brother's birthday is today. My other brother's is on the 16th. My father's is on the 20th. And I have several friends with birthdays in the next coupla weeks as well...Och, SCORPIOS!! Surrounded by 'em!!

Well, I hope you had a good day. Do anything fun?

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the birthday greeting...I had a splendid day with a meal out in the evening with my husband and kids..all in all a lovely time.
You are right on the nail when it comes to guilt..as a Catholic girl who was originally taught by nuns,I still suffer with that and yet my husband (non Catholic) cannot understand the whole guilt thing...and at the moment there is a whole family (parents and my siblings) thing going on that makes me worry that my folks will just keel over!! You just have to remember to take each day at a time and that there is no wealth but life.....and as for the scorpio thing - well we sure are a sexy bunch..is that true of the scorpios you know?

Laura said...

Scorpios sexy???

Beyond sexy!! (The two I've dated, anyway--long-haired hotties, both. Stubborn as hell. Difficult to be with at times. But hot? Um...yeah...without a doubt.)

Come to think of it, though, I could say the exact same thing about the two Aquarians I've dated.

And the Cancer...and the Taurus...

(p.s. As far as the Scorpio men in my family go--yep, they're all lookers, too.)